Since 2007, the Oregon Wheat Foundation’s Bushels for Betsy Program, has partnered with Farmers Ending Hunger to join the fight against hunger in Oregon.
How Wheat Farmers Help:
1. A grower (farmer) donates to the Bushels for Betsy program, with cash, or in bushels of wheat when the grain is sold.
- Grain donation: Farmers donate by the bushel through Bushels for Betsy, or by the acre through Farmers Ending Hunger (FEH) Commitment Form. The value of the grain gifted is sent from the co-op to FEH to GrainCraft for processing into flour. Farmers may use this Donation Form to designate your bushels donated.
- Cash donation: This is accumulated with other cash donations in a special account with the Oregon Wheat Foundation and sent annually to Farmers Ending Hunger for the purchase of flour.
2. The flour is transported to Continental Mills/Krusteaz where the perfect ingredients are added, and it is packaged into bags of baking mix. The beauty of our mix is that it is shelf stable. You only need to add water to the mix. It’s a versatile mix and can be used for pancakes, biscuits, muffins, dumplings and more!
3. The Oregon Food Bank sends trucks to pick up the mix from Continental Mills/Krusteax, and distributes it through their network of food banks throughout Oregon.
The Need is GREAT. Please consider making a contribution today!